Pages


Tuesday 27 March 2012

Post-Workout Nutrition

Ever wonder what to eat after a workout? Well look no further!

Before I discuss what foods to eat in what ratios, I wanted let you guys in on a little secret. It's likely that you've come across some article that says you must eat within this magical window of time after a workout - usually 20 to 60 minutes. In fact, I used to believe this myself! I would race home from the gym and get my protein shake in within 30 minutes post-workout. Well, I'm going to have to burst that bubble. It is not absolutely necessary to eat post-workout so long as you've had a pre-workout snack or a recent meal. 

However, if you haven't eaten within the past few hours of your routine (like a pre-breakfast workout), then it definitely is necessary that you fuel yourself with some much needed nutrition. You should also eat post-workout if you plan on doing a second workout that day (or a third/fourth/etc). Basically, you only really need to eat if your workout has depleted you of energy and you are in a fasted or semi-starved state.

The best ratio of macronutrients would be 3 carbohydrates to 1 protein (3:1) and a bit of added fat. My favourite snack is a fruit smoothie with added protein and fat like coconut oil. Or if I don't want to add the coconut oil I could have a side of nuts (about a handful) with my shake. 

Stay tuned for what to eat pre-workout!



Image Source: muscleclass

2 comments:

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below!