Pages


Monday 5 March 2012

Paleo Trial: 1st week

Well, I'm a week in to my paleo trial and I must say I'm doing pretty well! It's not easy - especially as last week was my special time of the month when my sweet cravings sore uncontrollably - but I got through the week 1 hump. Some changes to my usual routine include: cooking and baking a lot more and eating more mean and eggs than usual. I've had to find specialty paleo recipes for certain foods. But overall, I've had a lot of fun learning new recipes.

I learned that you can eat whipped cream and not feel guilty. Coconut whipped cream is unsweetened and loaded with good healthy nutrients, and when paired with berries, it more than suffice's to fulfill my sweet craving. I also tried baking banana custard, which is also unsweetened, and it's definitely not as yummy as regular custard, but I like that I can eat it for a healthy post workout snack (or anytime snack) rather than just for dessert. Salad has become my new best friend. Of course, I've had to do variations of salads to keep my taste buds from getting bored.

Changes I've noticed after only 1 week include: decreased bloat, more energy, better mood, more regularity, weight loss (2lbs), increased motivation, and a general sense of well being.

Changes I hope to incur by the end of my 30 day trial include: decreased sweet cravings, more weight loss, and continuation of all the other good things I felt over this past week.

Over the course of the next few posts, I will try and include some yummy paleo recipes that anyone could try (paleo or not).

Today's recipe is coconut whipped cream:
Refrigerate 1 can of coconut milk overnight.
Open can and separate the coconut water from the solid coconut milk. (Note: don't throw it away, it would be great to add to a smoothie, or even just to drink)
Put solid coconut milk in a bowl, add 1 tsp vanilla extract, and beat until fluffy.
Serve over your preference of berries or fruit.
Enjoy!

Note: if you need some added sweetness, add some pure maple syrup (apx 1tbsp) along with the vanilla extract.

A little advanced warning, this is not going to taste the same as regular whipped cream so go in with an open mind.

Image Source:instructables

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below!