Pages


Tuesday 13 March 2012

Paleo Trial: 2nd week

Time for the second update on my Paleo Trial. While I do think the Paleo way of life would definitely work for many people, I must admit, it doesn't work for me. I had a great week and a bit doing Paleo, but things started to take a downward turn after that. I have a medical condition that requires me to eat a lot of fiber. Although fruits and vegetables do contain fiber, I guess it wasn't enough for me in particular because I began to see some not-so-good results. Don't get me wrong, I did lose a bit of weight and the bloated feeling went away completely, but it's not sustainable for me.

Rather than give up on a challenge, I've decided to alter it so that I can continue. Instead, I will be doing gluten-free which is as close as I believe I can get to Paleo. I will continue to limit grains - eliminating wheat - but I will bring oats, rice, and quinoa back into my diet. I will continue to make healthy Paleo baked goods as they are not only gluten-free, but high protein, and very low sugar!

As I've reiterated many times, listening to your body is very important, and my body was telling me that Paleo is a no-go. 

Recipe of the week: Coconut Chocolate Cake

Servings: 12        Prep Time: 10 Minutes    Cook Time: 30 Minutes
Tools Needed: Hand Mixer, Mixing Bowls, Pyrex Dish, Sauce Pan

Ingredients:
1 1/4 Cup Almond Flour
1 Cup Dark Chocolate Chips or Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips
1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1/2 Cup Shredded Coconut
1/2 Slivered Almonds
2 Eggs
1/2 Tsp Sea Salt
1/2 Tsp Baking Powder
Coconut Oil for Grease

Process:
1. Preheat oven to 350 Degrees Fahrenheit
2. Melt chocolate and coconut milk in a small sauce pan over low heat
3. Once the chocolate is melted, transfer to a mixing bowl or stand mixer
4. Add in eggs and mix well
5. Add almond flour, shredded coconut, salt, and baking powder and mix well
6. Grease an 8×8 baking dish with coconut oil
7. Transfer batter to baking dish and sprinkle with slivered almonds and some coconut if desired
8. Bake in the oven for 25-35 minutes or until a toothpick in the center of the cake comes out clean

2 comments:

  1. Well bake this one and you won't have to feel guilty for eating it!

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below!