Pages


Tuesday 21 February 2012

How to up your water intake

We are always being told to drink more water. For some people, this is easier said than done. Either we forget while going about our daily routine or we simply don't feel thirsty. As with any change, it takes a conscious effort. I remember when I first started introducing a higher water intake into my diet many years ago. If you are trying to incorporate more water into your diet, hopefully some of the following suggestions will help.

Firstly, there are thermoreceptors in your mouth and throat that respond to changes in temperature. Drinking cold water stimulates these receptors to send a signal to your brain that your no longer thirsty, whether you are or not. To bypass this reaction, try drinking lukewarm water. It has been found that those who drink lukewarm water can drink twice at much as those drinking cold water. If you love cold water (like me), try starting out with lukewarm until you become more accustomed to drinking water and then switch to cold.

When I first tried uping my water intake, I would take a 500ml (apx 16 oz) bottle of water with me everywhere I went. I would then set times during my day when I would have to be finished one full bottle. For example, I would have to finish the whole bottle by noon, and then another by 4pm. This way I was drinking 2 full glasses every 4 hours.

On top of this, I would always have a full glass with meals. I worked it out so that I would have at least 8 glasses each day. At first, I needed to run to the bathroom often. This is to be expected as my body wasn't used to utilizing that amount of water. But after a few weeks, I noticed my bathroom runs were fewer and fewer. 

Another way of getting more water into your body is by drinking tea. This works especially well if you don't like plain water and you need a little flavour. I would not recommend drinking coffee or juice as coffee actually works to take out water from your body and juice is mainly sugar. If you want to drink coffee, I would suggest drinking 2 glasses of exactly the same size directly after. The first glass will bring your water level back to even after drinking the coffee, and the second glass will hydrate you. I personally don't drink juice at all, but if it's something you really enjoy, try limiting your intake and drink it on top of your usual water intake.

Happy drinking!

Image Source: demeur

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you! Please leave your comments below!